If you have jewelry, you have likely asked yourself, "How much is my jewelry worth?" The answer is much more complicated than you think. Like most other items, jewelry tends to lose a percentage of its value once it leaves the shop. If you sell your jewelry, you shouldn’t expect to receive the same amount of money you paid to purchase it. This is why there is always a discussion about the retail and the resale value when selling jewelry in the second-hand market.
Retail vs Resale Jewelry Value
The retail jewelry value is what you pay for the jewelry when purchasing it from the jewelry brand. On the other hand, the resale jewelry value is what a pawn shop or any other buyer will be willing to pay for it when you resale it. It’s crucial that if you are planning to sell your jewelry, you find out its resale value before deciding whether to sell it or not. You can do this by visiting several pawn shops near you and asking what they would be willing to pay for the jewelry. You can also have the jewelry appraised, but you will have to pay the appraiser.
Factors That Impact the Value of Jewelry
- Brand: If you purchased your jewelry from a luxury brand like Van Cleef, Tiffany, or Cartier, it would likely hold its value better on the second-hand market.
- Collection: Even within a luxury brand’s offerings, jewelry from a specific collection will hold its value better after purchase. The Alhambra Collection from Van Cleef & Arpels and the B.zero1 collection from Bulgari are more valuable on the second-hand market.
- Metal: The metal that makes your jewelry can enable it to hold its value better. The most coveted metals in jewelry are 18k gold, sterling silver, titanium, and platinum.
- Gemstones: What gems are on your jewelry? If it has pearls, rubies, sapphires, and diamonds, it will be more valuable on the second-hand market.
- Condition: What’s the state of your jewelry? If you cared for your jewelry well, and it’s in superb condition, it will be worth more compared to damaged jewelry.
- Papers and box for designer jewelry: If your pieces had papers and a box, it will bring more if you still have them.
- Diamond certificates: Most diamond jewelry, like engagement rings, come with a certificate from a grading lab like GIA. If you still have this certificate, your diamond jewelry will be worth more than without.
Do You Want to Sell Your Jewelry in Paola, Kansas?
Harrison Street Pawn is a market-leading full-service gun and pawn shop, and we will offer you the best prices if you want to sell your jewelry. If you are not ready to sell the jewelry but need some money, you can bring it to us, and we will offer you a loan. We also sell guns, ammunition, power tools, lawn care equipment, and musical equipment. Call us or visit us today.