Do you know why—and how often—you should have your gun professionally cleaned? As you know, any firearm is a complex piece of machinery that requires each component to operate perfectly. Gun cleaning is an important part of gun care and maintenance, and the following tips will help you ensure your firearm operates beautifully and reliably for years to come.
What happens if you don’t clean your gun?
When you use your gun, residue and corrosion will start building up. (Corrosion can also start building up if you don’t store your gun properly.) Historical guns are especially susceptible to corrosion, and your ammo can leave behind potassium chloride or sodium chloride. It’s crucial that you clean your historical guns after each use, or you could come back to find them rusted beyond repair.
Just a few rounds can lead to residue fouling on the inside, too. That’s why it’s smart to clean every gun you fire—even if it’s not a historical firearm—before you store it away. Carbon, lead, plastic and other materials can build up on the inside of your gun, which will make it harder to fire and less accurate.
Benefits of professional gun cleaning
Some gunsmiths will clean your guns for you, so even if you’re diligently keeping up on your regular gun cleaning after every use, there’s no substitute for a deep professional clean. Here’s why:
- They’ll take it completely apart: When a gunsmith cleans your gun, they won’t just give it a quick scrub—they’ll deep clean the gun, piece by piece. That requires taking the gun completely apart so every piece can be scrubbed and wiped down appropriately. Some gunsmiths even use ultrasonic cleaning to get all the grime off.
- Get deep cleaning: When your gunsmith takes apart your gun for cleaning, you’re guaranteed a better, deeper clean. It’s the best way to ensure every little nook and cranny has been considered, wiped out and reassembled with safety in mind.
- Ensure your gun is properly lubricated: Your firearm uses a lot of moving parts—and those parts may lose lubrication over time. Your gunsmith will ensure the gun is properly lubricated so it operates flawlessly on the range or at the hunting grounds.
- Increase reliability and safety: When your gun is cleaner, it operates safely and more reliably. Grime, debris, buildup and lack of lubrication can make your firearm unreliable. When you’re dealing with deadly force, that risk is unacceptable. Have a gunsmith clean your guns for best results.
- Avoid bigger problems: Finally, a gunsmith can help you spot, repair and avoid major issues, such as rust, corrosion or failure to fire, eject and feed. If your gunsmith spots these problems during a routine cleaning, you could save a lot of time and money down the road.
Having a gunsmith clean up your guns is a great way to ensure their safety and longevity. For help with yours, or to get more gun maintenance tips, call or stop by Harrison Street Pawn today.