Whether purchasing your first or hundredth firearm, it never hurts to review safety tips. Safe gun storage and handling prevents accidents and keeps guns out of unskilled hands. We recommend taking a firearm safety class at a local range, but there is advice you can start following today. Here are six tips for safe firearm handling in Olathe, KS:
- Assume they are loaded: The best way to ensure safety is to assume every gun is loaded. Even if you recently fired or transported it, which often means you unloaded it first, it is better to act as if you skipped that step. Keep your finger off the trigger, and never point it at another person. Be aware of potential targets and your line of fire, and never point your weapon in an unsafe direction.
- Invest in secure storage: Safe gun storage in Olathe, KS is essential, especially if you have children. Purchase a gun safe that is both impact resistant and fireproof. Keep keys or combinations in a safe place that is also inaccessible to children. If you can invest in two safes, keep guns in one and ammunition in the other. Add trigger locks to enhance gun security further.
- Remove ammunition: Remove ammunition from firearms before storing or transporting them. Never drive with loaded guns—they are accident prone, and you can face trouble from law enforcement. Just as with home storage, place guns and ammo in separate carrying cases. Always use the correct ammunition for your firearm—never experiment by mixing and matching.
- Learn basic repairs: If you practice shooting enough, your gun may experience mechanical issues. Learn to address the simple and common problems, like jamming. However, you should also know when you are in over your head and require a gunsmith. If the issues prevent you from unloading the ammo and you are at a range, see if there is a gunsmith on site rather than trying to transport it and fix it yourself. Never be afraid to ask for help, especially if you are a beginner.
- Protect eyes and ears: Gunpowder can burn eyes, and firearm sounds can blast your eardrums. Purchase eye and ear protection designed for shooting sports. Make sure they fit correctly, and never remove them when you are on a live range.
- Model safe gun handling: If you have children, provide a good example. Talk to them about what to do if they find a gun, and make it clear they should never handle firearms without supervision. Never leave guns lying around unlocked, and consider using trigger locks for additional reassurance. Also, take gun safety and handling classes to update your knowledge and keep learning better ways of using firearms.
We hope you found these tips about safe firearm handling and gun storage in Olathe, KS helpful. If you wish to learn more, visit Harrison Street Pawn. We offer a wide selection of new and used firearms, and we can give you further advice on how to safely handle these weapons. Call us today if you have questions or want to see what we currently have in stock.