When it comes to being in the brush and stalking prey, a hunter is only as good as their preparations. It takes more than a gun and some camo to make a hunter a success. And when it comes to sitting in the woods for hours on end, there are some undeniable essentials everyone should carry with them.
Here’s some information from a gun store in Olathe, KS about some of those essentials—the ones that are all too often overlooked!
- Way-finding gear: Nothing’s worse than getting lost in the thrill of the hunt only to discover that you are actually lost. Sure, modern cell phones get you out of most jams in town, but they often fall short in the sticks, where the turkeys live. While you could opt for a new fangled GPS unit, you can also opt for a waterproof map and compass. It’s old school, but it also won’t let you down.
- Emergency kit: Accidents can happen, especially where guns are involved. You should always carry a first aid kit and a way to reach out for assistance if something goes wrong for your party.
- Warm clothes: Gloves are one of those pieces of kit that everyone forgets until their fingers are numb from the cold. With so many great and lightweight options on the market today, there is no reason to be caught out in the cold!
- Your calls: It should go without say that hunting turkey—or really any type of bird—requires the proper calls. Invest in a call you are comfortable with, and stick to it. If it gets their attention, keep using it.
- Bug spray: It’s surprisingly hard to pull a trigger when mosquitoes are drinking your blood! While it might seem like a superfluous luxury a city slicker might miss on a day hike, it’s worth having when the bugs start driving you nuts.
- Water: Regardless of the weather, water is something we humans can’t live without, so it’s best not to try.
- Toilet paper: There are few things worse than being miles from civilization and getting a call from Mother Nature. It’ll happen to everyone at least once—then, you get smarter and bring toilet paper with you on every hunt.
- Safety gear: When hunting, it’s always best not to be the one getting shot. Orange hunting vests may not look great, but they are very effective when it comes to letting others know that you are not a suitable target.
- Pocketknife: If you are the type to go anywhere without a pocketknife, just stop doing that and carry one. You’ll be glad you did at some point—guaranteed.
- Ammo: Nothing is more annoying that getting to the site and realizing the ammo isn’t in your gun bag. It’ll cost you time, money and daylight to go get it, but you can’t hunt without it, so just triple check it.
Are you looking for a gun store in Olathe, KS for your hunting necessities? Come in to Harrison Street Pawn today to check out our selection!