If you’re going to be out hunting elk this season, then you’d better make sure you take a gun that’s powerful enough and reliable enough that you know it won’t let you down. If you’re looking for the perfect elk gun, check out the nine favorite elk guns of our gun store in Olathe, KS:
- Browning BLR Lightweight ‘81: The Browning BLR ‘81 model is one of the best rifles around. It’s a lever action, carbine length rifle with a 4-round magazine. It’s quite light, and at $900 suggested retail, it has a mid-range price for top-shelf performance.
- Kimber Model 84M Classic: The Kimber 84M classic is an ultra-light rifle coming in at just about 7 pounds—great for just packing up and walking into the woods. It’s extremely light, easy to load, super accurate and has an adjustable trigger, which makes it even more accurate for more experienced hunters.
- Remington Model 673 Guide Rifle: This is a little heavier than the others we’ve mentioned so far, coming in at a little over 8 pounds with a scope. This was introduced in 2003 and discontinued in 2004, so it’s hard to find, though it has been replaced by the Model Seven, if you’re looking for something close. This model has one of the smoothest trigger actions around.
- .444 Marlin: The Marlin is a classic, and with a retail price of around $650, it gives you more bang for your buck than just about any alternative. The one downside is that its accuracy begins to falter at around 100 yards, which means it’s much better for hunting on foot than from a tree stand.
- Remington Model 798: This bolt action rifle comes in at about 9 pounds with a scope. This rifle does a better job of controlling its recoil than some of the lighter options we list here. At $1,000, you aren’t likely to find a rifle this versatile that can still drop an elk at long range.
- Winchester M70 Super Grade: Another heavy rifle, which means you won’t have to worry too much about the recoil. The trigger is adjustable, and it’s extremely easy to load. And the fact that it uses .30-06 cartridges makes this an affordable rifle to shoot.
- Weatherby Mark V Deluxe: Probably the best looking rifle on this list. This rifle has a long reputation for being one of the most powerful bolt action rifles. It’s extremely accurate, especially at long distances. You pay a little extra for gun this nice, accurate and quiet, but at a suggested retail of $1,775—and some gun stores come in much lower than this price, especially used—you’re still getting what you’re paying for.
- Winchester 1885 High Wall: This is an amazing rifle for shooting out of a tree stand, but not so good if you’re on foot, as it can take quite a long time to take a second shot if your first one misses.
- Savage Arms Model 111FCNS .30-06: At $675, this rifle is probably the best bargain on the list. It’s very light at less than 7 pounds, but doesn’t have as much recoil as other lighter rifles.
If you are looking for a gun store in Olathe, KS, come in to Harrison Street Pawn today. Our employees are extremely knowledgeable and passionate gun owners who can help you leave with the best gun for your hunting needs. Give us a call today and ask about our current stock.