Firearms can be excellent tools for civilians to hunt with or keep on hand for potential self-defense. Whether you are hoping to learn to shoot recreationally or are wanting to keep a gun in your house with the aim of keeping your family safe, you may be wondering how the background check process is handled for prospective firearm purchasers. Visiting a gun shop in Olathe, KS is a great way to learn more about the firearm purchasing process and determine if it is right for you.
Federal law requires background checks for all gun sales from licensed firearm dealers, and many states require additional background research to be conducted by both state and local agencies. Kansas, however, does not opt for these additional regulations, meaning that the purchase of a firearm here is substantially easier compared to more restrictive states. Here are just a few things that you should know about the background check process in Kansas:
- Federal contacts: Because Kansas does not implement additional state-level restrictions on the sales of firearms, gun shop representatives are responsible for communicating directly with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to learn more about your legal and criminal history.
- No state regulations: Kansas does not maintain state-level restrictions on the purchase of firearms or their open carry, meaning that you can purchase your gun and openly carry it while observing only federal regulations. Additionally, anyone over the age of 21 may conceal their weapon without a permit if they are on their own property.
- Permit exemptions: If you have been issued a concealed carry permit, which in Kansas is valid statewide for four years, you will not need to go through an additional background check to purchase your weapon. Because you were already investigated to obtain your permit, you will not need to submit to a background check again to purchase a gun.
If you are concerned that events from your past may prevent you from being able to purchase a weapon, you should consult with the operator of your gun shop in Olathe, KS to determine the best course of action moving forward. Here are a few things that may prevent you from purchasing a firearm at a gun shop in Olathe, KS:
- Substance abuse and mental illness: If you have a documented history of substance abuse or mental illness, you will likely not be allowed to purchase a firearm. Additionally, gun shop operators are free to refuse service to anyone they may suspect poses a danger to the community.
- Felony convictions: Depending on the type of felony you were convicted of, you may not be able to purchase a firearm for as long as 10 years, or even indefinitely. If you have ever received a felony conviction, you should consult with a legal expert prior to purchasing a weapon to ensure it doesn’t violate your release terms.
Harrison Street Pawn has been the premier gun shop in Olathe, KS since 1985. As a federally licensed firearms seller, we are committed to ensuring safe and secure gun sales that observe all relevant state and federal laws. You can count on us to deliver high-quality and reliable firearms. Reach out to one of our knowledgeable and professional sales associates today to learn more about the duties and responsibilities of firearm ownership, and determine if it is right for you.