Open carry laws afford law-abiding citizens the right to publicly bear their firearms. Navigating gun laws in the United States can be difficult for firearm owners who are attempting to safely and lawfully observe their right to bear arms. Kansas has relatively permissive open carry laws that can make it easy for gun owners to bring their weapons with them as they see fit. If you are concerned about whether or not you are properly observing Kansas’ open carry laws, you should consult with a qualified regulatory professional or the folks at your friendly neighborhood gun store in Olathe, KS.
Know how to carry
While municipalities are allowed to introduce their own gun restrictions, the State of Kansas imposes relatively few restrictions on residents’ right to openly carry firearms. Here are just a few things that you should keep in mind before you pay a visit to your local gun store in Olathe, KS:
- Minimum age: State law requires that everyone openly carrying a firearm must be more than 18 years old. Failure to observe these guidelines can result in not only the potential for injury or death, but also serious legal consequences! Be sure to keep your guns out of your children’s reach.
- Car carry: In Kansas, you are free to carry your weapon openly in your vehicle without a permit. If you are concealing your gun, however, you will need to observe all of the relevant concealed carry guidelines. To be in compliance with open carry laws, you must ensure that your weapon is holstered and visible from outside the vehicle.
- Off-limits areas: Even though statewide regulations on where you can carry your weapon are fairly limited, municipalities and the federal government can both impose restrictions on where you bring your weapon. School zones and college campuses, for instance, are off limits for unpermitted open carriers.
If you are openly carrying your weapon, you should consider taking a number of safety measures to ensure that both yourself and those around you are safe:
- Keep it holstered: This is for your safety and the safety of those around you. A proper retention holster can be obtained at a gun store in Olathe, KS. You should also learn about proper gun retention methods to prevent your weapon from falling into the wrong hands.
- Cooperate with law enforcement: If you are openly carrying a weapon, law enforcement officers may attempt to learn more about you. It’s extremely important to present your identification and your weapon whenever asked by a public official. Failure to cooperate can be dangerous for firearm owners.
Since 1985, Harrison Street Pawn has been the premier gun store in Olathe, KS. You can count on our knowledgeable sales professionals to provide you with the advice you need to safely and legally own and operate a firearm. We are extremely proud to offer our community sales of both modern and antique firearms for collectables or self-defense. Contact us today to learn more about local gun restrictions and how we can help outfit you with the firearm that is right for your lifestyle!