Never underestimate the importance of keeping your firearms clean. That often occurs with customers who are new to owning handguns in Olathe, KS, but we encounter longtime collectors who are guilty of skipping this essential routine, too. A clean firearm is one that serves you well for decades. Here are five reasons why it is important to keep your firearms clean:
- Reduce fouling: Anytime you use your gun, you need to clean it. That is due to a process called fouling. All ammunition, even if it is high quality, causes fouling. Types of fouling include copper, lead and plastic deposits. Each type can corrode your gun, and if your choice of ammunition contains sale primer as well, that will degrade the quality of your firearm barrel quicker. So, if you wish to prevent this corrosion, you must clean your firearm every time you shoot it.
- Longevity: We have customers still shooting firearms owned by their great-grandparents. There is a reason this is possible: these firearms received good care, including regular cleaning. Your gun will offer the same life expectancy if you do the same. Besides cleaning out the remnants of fouling, guns also require oil. Wood inserts, grips and stocks all require the same attention as the inner workings of your firearm. Sometimes, a wood wax works well on these parts, too, especially if you are restoring an antique. If you are lucky enough to own a firearm used in 1865, help it last through the centuries by keeping it clean.
- Knowledge: The act of cleaning your gun helps you learn how it works. As you disassemble it and clean its inner parts, you will see how the parts interact. This helps you diagnose problems as they arise and operate your weapon safely. Also, you will learn the happy medium when it comes to lubricating your gun. Knowing how it works and seeing any shortcomings will prevent you from overdoing it on the lubrication. Turning your gun into a slip-and-slide makes it impossible to shoot, so your new knowledge will help you make fewer mistakes in gun maintenance.
- Safety and reliability: Guns with less buildup are safer to shoot. You avoid backfires and jams, which can become dangerous situations quickly. Also, a clean firearm is a reliable one. If you are purchasing a handgun for home defense, you want it working in case you need it. Fouling and rust buildup could make it impossible for your gun to fire.
- Maintain resale value: If upgrading your firearm is possible in the future, keeping it clean will make it easier to sell or trade. No matter the type of purchase, no one wants to inherit another person’s problem. They want something that is functional and does not require major repairs. One way to preserve value and even get a higher price at a pawn shop is with good maintenance. Part of that is keeping your firearm clean.
Harrison Street Pawn is a full-service pawn and firearm shop with many handguns in Olathe, KS for sale. Visit us today to see what we offer!